|View Poll Results: How much did you take to build your blog on pixelpost from scratch ?|
|Less than an hour||2||100.00%|
|One full day||0||0%|
|Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll|
Installation Issues with 1.7.1: "Page cannot be found"
My name is Satish and I am new to Pixelpost.
Pixelpost certainly is the best application for photoblogging on the web and I have been beating my head to wall since the middle of last week to get things started...
Hmm....below is a breakdown of what steps I went through to start my own blog on Pixelpost...I request the gurus on Team Pixelpost (and folks who overcame similar problems) to help me in getting things to work..
1. I have installed Apache, MySQL, PHP and phpMyadmin on my system. I have tested them, linked them appropriately and they are all working fine.
2. I have bought a domain at Godaddy.com and have also opened a hosting account within it.
3. I have created a new MySQL database with the phpMyadmin client available with Godaddy.
4. The database name is karmanya and it has zero tables in it. Godaddy is hosting it at hostedresource.com and the details of the database are below as shown on Godaddy.
MySQL Database Information
Database Name: karmanya
Database Version: 5.0
User Name: karmanya
5. I have downloaded pixelpost and extracted all the files, I replaced the following in the file pixelpost_sample.php found in "includes" and renamed it as pixelpost.php:
$pixelpost_db_host = "karmanya.db.4187052.hostedresource.com"; // database host, often "localhost"
$pixelpost_db_user = "karmanya"; // database user
$pixelpost_db_pass = "I enter my pwd"; // database user password
$pixelpost_db_pixelpost = "karmanya"; // database
6. I have connected to ftp.mydomain.com using the Cuteftp (trial version) and have uploaded all the extracted files. They are uploaded into a folder named "karmanya".
When I right click on Images and/or Thumbnails folders which I uploaded and go to properties, I do not see any boxes which I can check on (owner, group, public, etc.), nor do I see the permissions # (546 etc.). Does this mean that I have all the rights or is there something wrong? I happen to see the permissions when I see folders in the /pub folder on cuteftp's site but I was not able to upload my files there.
7. Now, when I open http://mydomain.com/karmanya/admin/install.php, it says that this page does not exist on the server. And pixelpost does not start. I have also tried http://www.mydomain.com/pixelpost/admin and it does not help as well.
In addition when I go to www.mydomain.com, I see Connect DB Error Cause #1
But when I click on ftp.mydomain.com/karmanya and enter my username and pwd, I see all the files that I uploaded.
8. I have also tried changing the server to localhost, i.e. use the phpMyAdmin client that I installed on my PC (instead of the one available on Godaddy's hosting website) and I replaced the values in the pixelpost.php file appropriately. And it does not help as well.
9. I had one last throw of the dice...I initiated some variables and built a table in the MySQL database karmanya that I created before. But it does not do any good as well..
I think I am missing a trivial small detail or something.
I hope this thread can help solve issues for many newbies like me..
Please help me..!!!
Thank you all so much for your help!!!
A page not found is most commonly caused by a bad upload or wrong file permissions. I would suggest to use a different FTP program, there is a nice addon for it under Firefox (FireFTP).
Furthermore, what amazes me a bit is the fact when you go to example.com you see a connect error. This is because you stated you uploaded the files into a folder.
Anyway, you can try example.com/admin/install.php based on your information that has to work.
My photoblog, powered by PixelPost 1.9 dev SVN | My Pixelpost Addons | My Cool Photoblog profile
Last edited by jaywilliams; 04-10-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Thanks so much Dennis for your reply...
I changed the OS of my hosting server to Linux and it helped in changing the file permissions!!!
I have one final question before I complete installation:
I get this error in the FINALIZE step, I don't see anything else over there.
MySQL Error: Unknown column 'admin' in 'field list'
Thanks for your responses!!